Think You Know Potatoes? There's More to Potatoes Than Meets the Eye
Potato Facts That Will Surprise You
Think you know potatoes? Think again! Find out things you didn't know you didn't know about good old potatoes.
- Potatoes produce more nutritious food more quickly, on less land, in harsher climates, than any other major crop.
- 85% of the potato plant is edible food
- Potatoes are Canada's #1 vegetable
- We’ve been growing potatoes in Canada for more than 200 years
- Over 150 kinds of potatoes are bred in Canada
- Potatoes are the 4th most important food crop on the planet, after rice, wheat, and corn
- The average Canadian eats 157lbs of potatoes a year
- Potatoes feed 34 million Canadians a day!
- Top 3 potato producing provinces
• PEI 1, 186, 835 tons
• Manitoba 862, 597 tons
• Alberta 847, 764 tons
For more interesting facts about our friend, the potato, check out the Alliance for Potato Research & Education.